Let's say that in spite of all your careful planning, you are alone, and you are stuck with no way to get yourself moving again. What do you do? Do you stay and wait for help, or do you walk and find some?
This is where a Trip Plan has to come in. If you do not arrive at the check point when expected, your backup team needs to know what to do. You are supposed to have enough water and provisions to safely wait until they arrive.
If your back up team fails to show within a reasonable amount of time, do you stay, or do you go?
- you know EXACTLY where you are,
- you have proper maps with well identified points where help may be,
- you have the skill and equipment to navigate there,
- you have enough water and food,
- and the proven physical ability to make it.
Stay where you are, even if it seems hopeless and do the following:
- Keep calm.
- Pitch your tent.
- Start and keep a fire burning.
- Inventory your available supplies, especially the amount of water.
- Try to find a natural source of water. Purify water before drinking by filtering and boiling the water or use chemical purification tablets
- Keep activity minimal.
- Stay cool in the day and warm at night.
- Remain calm.