• gifappel01
  • gifappel02
  • gifappel03
  • gifappel04
  • gifappel05
  • gifappel06
  • gifappel07
I bought Gifappel in February 2006 from someone in Rustenburg for R30 000. Knowing that Safaris dohave a problem with rust, this one looked quite well and had a respray of reasonable quality. 
For the price, I thought it would serve me well for what I had in mind, i.e. a car mainly used for leisure.

It was a good year and Gifappel mad a couple of nice weekend break aways possible.  At first, the idea was just to get away and start forming ideas of what we would need for camping. I made it clear from the start that I am not in favour of a trailer and we should go with the vehicle alone and no roof rack. What fits inside goes, the rest stays.

The very first on my list, was a bumper mounted spare wheel carrier. The original Safari spare was mounted below the fuel tank. It was a size 7.00x16 and by then the Safari had had other tyre sizes on for years. I found that the 235/80 R16 was a great tyre for my purposes and it was far too wide to fit in below the tank.

After thinking long and hard about a convenient, but inexpensive, packing system, I decided to settle on a shelve and crate system and started to look for freely available standard plastic crates that could do the job. My choice fell on the 25 litre black crates that one can buy at Pick-n-Pay and almost any other shop dealing in plastic products. I had used them for other purposes for a few years. Although these bins are not nearly as robust as army crates, they are a quarter of the price and durable enough if used with consideration.

The disadvantage of a drawer system is that it takes up precious space because of the box construction and the fact that the rails and sides easily takes up 120mm of dead space over the width of the load bin. I therefore decided to make a simple load shelve where I would put the tent, tools, and camping chairs and inflatable mattresses below. On top would be the 25 litre bins with a Coleman 7-day cooler box.

We had to pack tight. Each family member was allowed one single 25 litres bin for clothes and toiletries. {Hats off to the women in your life. - Ed.}  We had two for food, one for medical, one for towels, one for pots and pans, one for kitchen ware and so forth. There were 12 bins in total on top of the shelve and the gaps were filled with sleeping bags, pillows and a million other little things.

The load shelve proved very practical and did not waste any space. We did a number of trips with Gifappel with all the camping gear packed into the back.  To be honest, it was a tight fit and for a longer holiday the placement of items had to be planned very well and deviations from the plan could not be accommodated.

The last modification I did on Gifappel, was to build my own long range tank. The original tank was about 80 litres in size and it did not give much range on the thirsty petrol engine.  I designed a new tank and as usual decided to DIY. This was a significantly more difficult job than what I had anticipated and I only managed to get a tank that worked after two attempts. Even though I learnt how to fuse weld black steel with an acetylene flame, I think I have had enough of building tanks and will not easily do it again, unless Chuck Norris asks me.

While Gifappel was a lovely vehicle, the call for a diesel engine became too strong.  Plans to  convert it to the LD28 motor was abandoned when a Nissan Safari, with a well done LD28 conversion, came along.